In the preparation process for the PMP® examination, each candidate has their own ways to set different plans at their own pace and comfort. Here is an example study plan when you attend the PMP® Exam Prep course at IMT-PM.
Step 1: Satisfy 35-contact hours of project management education.
You can satisfy the requirements of 35-contact hours by confirming the completion of courses, workshops, and training sessions. PMI® only accepts the training program offered by one or more of the following kinds of education providers:
- PMI Authorized Training Partners (ATPs)
- PMI chapters
- Employer/company-sponsored programs
- Training companies or consultants (e.g., training schools)
- Distance-learning companies, including an end-of-course assessment
- University/college academic and continuing education programs
The following activities do not meet the education requirements:
- PMI chapter meetings (If at least one hour of the meeting is spent on conducting a learning activity, the hour(s) spent in that activity can be counted)
- Self-directed learning (e.g., reading books, watching instructional videos that do not include an end-of-course assessment)
Attending 35-hour training at IMT-PM (PMI Authorized Training Partners), you will be prepared for the exam with PMI®-developed material, PMI®-certified instructors, and practice the PMP® cloned exam questions in every class session. The PMP® Exam changed a lot since the new Exam Content Outline was released in January 2021. Therefore, it’s crucial to have the PMI®-developed materials hands-on when preparing for the exam.
- DO: focus on PMI®-developed materials.
- DON’T: read more than three books.
PMI® Authorized PMP® Exam Prep: PDF version of this PMI®-developed content is provided in the training program at IMT-PM
PMBOK Guide 6th Edition: PDF version is included in PMI membership
Agile Practice Guide: PDF version is included in PMI membership
Step 2: Submit PMP® application
After finishing 35 hours of learning, you have to collect the required information for the PMP® application.
- Education: This contains academic education and professional education. See more.
- Experience: The highest education level you achieved will affect the number of months of experience in project management required in the PMP® application. See more.
- Exam details: Input your personal information and choose the exam location. See more.
PMP® Exam Fee:
- PMI® Member: US$405.00
- PMI® Non-member: US$555.00
Benefits of being a PMI® membership:
- Download PMBOK Guide, Agile Practice Guide, and other standards for free.
- Save your money on the PMP® exam fee. There’s a membership fee of $129 and a joining fee of $10. This brings your total costs back to $544, not so far from the original $555.
Step 3: Practice with PMP® exam mock test
Additional to 35 hours of training with the instructor, you have to spend time doing the PMP® cloned exam questions to review at home. Self-practice the full-length mock tests until you answer correctly >80% of questions. At that time, you are ready for the PMP® exam.
- DO: take the exam within three months after 35-hour training.
- DON’T: take the exam too early (less than one week after 35-hour training) or too late (more than three months after 35-hour training)